About Me

My photo
I am a junior at Creighton University in Omaha, NE. I really like it there. The campus is small and it feels like we are all just one big family. I am a theology/secondary education major and I am discerning a career in youth ministry.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Be Not Afraid

From October 17, 2010

Today we sang "Be Not Afraid" in Mass. I think that this might just be my favorite hymn. It is very apropos to sing a hymn about wandering in the desert and relying on God when we are facing the fact that people wander through the desert into this country and we will be wandering in the desert of Tuesday. I feel that I will not get through this week, especially Tuesday, without Him. The one part that is resonating with me right now is "And if wicked tongues insult and hate you all because of me, blessed, blessed are you." Being hated does not seem like a blessing. But the Bible, especially the Gospels, are full of seeming contradictions. I think right now I am wrestling with these seeming contradictions and I am trying to understand them. Why would God call us onto a path that will not be east. Why is salvation hard and what is right always the wrong thing in the eyes of society? Why do we treat others like dirt and sub-humans in the name of freedom and justice?

No comments: