About Me

My photo
I am a junior at Creighton University in Omaha, NE. I really like it there. The campus is small and it feels like we are all just one big family. I am a theology/secondary education major and I am discerning a career in youth ministry.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Borders

from Oct 17, 2010

Borders are such an immaterial thing. Growing up borders where such a mystery and an excitement. In the smack-dab-middle of Oklahoma, a Texas plate was exciting, God forbid we see one from Florida or Washington. Borders were something you crossed on roadtrips or something else. But those are still just state borders. Country borders have nothing near them. They are desolate, alone, and no one would dare walk across one. Yet, I come to Tucson, 60 miles from the border. About a 3 days walk. That is it. And people live right up on the border. An Native American's tribal land goes straight across it. And unlike state borders, there is a wall on a lot of the US/Mexico border that tells you exactly where it is. I think a lot about the ease we cross the Nebraska/Iowa border. There is a bridge where you can walk, run, bike, whatever across the border. No one is going to stop me in Iowa and ask for papers. I go to school in a different state than in which I live. Yet, my Oklahoma I.D. is perfectly fine. Borders are fragile things, made by human beings. Yet, we are still all humans, and that never ends.

No comments: